Thursday, April 11, 2019

When the World Presses In, Remember Heaven

Okay, it's official. The world is in a horrific condition.

And being a Christian committed to living a godly lifestyle, spreading the gospel, building a culture of life and, yes, battling the spiritual forces who would do us in can create a little stress from time to time. Right?

The issue then becomes what to do to stay on top of our circumstances when they start pressing in.  Here's a few important answers.

1) Pray for strength and wisdom.

2) Take God seriously and yourself less so.

3) Use the vertigo caused by dizzying problems to better relish the security that is ours in heaven. As the old country hymn goes:

This world is not my home;
I’m just a passin’ through.
My treasure is laid up
Somewhere beyond the blue.
The angels beckon me from heaven’s open door
And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.

O Lord, You know I have no friend like You.
If heaven weren’t my home, O Lord, what would I do?
No, those angels beckon me from heaven’s open door.
And I can’t feel at home in this world anymore.

And 4) after being renewed in spirit as you contemplate spending eternity in the serenity, beauty and glory of Christ's presence, remember to “press back” by continuing to serve the Lord.  Whether or not we feel like it, whether or not it seems convenient, whether or not there will be anybody applauding or standing alongside — we have a responsibility to keep God’s priorities in view and, as faithfully as possible, to carry them out with perseverance, principle, and even pizazz!

One more important note. If your ideas of heaven are kinda' fuzzy and they don't provide the kind of valuable consolation and excitement I refer to above, please put Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven and Joni Eareckson Tada's Heaven: Your Real Home on your immediate "to read" list!

Don't put it off. I'm telling you, these books will change your life. And yes, if you've read them before, read 'em again. The times require it.

P.S. One of the books mentioned above is the focus in our next Vital Signs book discussion series. In fact, it is so valuable a read that we are actually offering 2 different times for it. Joni Earckson Tada has recently published an updated and expanded edition of Heaven: Your Real Home and, believe me, it’s even better than the first one.  Those discussion parties will be 1) a brunch discussion on Saturday, May 11th at 10:00 AM and 2) Tuesday evening with dessert at 7:00 PM on May 14th.  RSVPs are required