Monday, December 19, 2016

Denny's Letter to Santa & Santa's Letter to Politicians

(This was posted on the Vital Signs Blog 4 years ago, but it's worth reposting as we welcome in a new administration.)

I pass along two documents for you to peruse. One is a copy of a letter I sent to Santa. The second is the note that Santa attached when he sent my letter on to several political leaders.

Dear Santa,

What I most want for Christmas this year may be beyond even your North Pole magic so I’ve decided to ask for just three things – things that are undoubtedly practical, certainly directed for the common good, and do-able even in the current political climate.   

1) I would like serious actions taken to protect America’s democracy from voter fraud. We desperately need voter I.D. laws, fair and effective voting machines, non-partisan oversight, harsh penalties for vote fraud crooks -- and tough enforcement of all of these.

2) I would like government funds to the mega-abortion corporation Planned Parenthood completely eliminated.  For crying out loud, it’s a multi-million dollar business that kills preborn boys and girls, zealously promotes and enables promiscuity and, in a dozen other ways, contributes to the decadence of American culture.  So why, when the nation is broke, do we scrape up $350 million from the taxpayers every year to give to this sinister group?

3) Renewed efforts from America’s lawmakers and opinion leaders to defend and promote the U.S. Constitution -- especially its protection of the freedoms of religion, speech, and association.

Please Santa, I’m deeply appreciative of all the wonderful presents you’ve given me over the years, but this year I’m asking for you to concentrate on these three wishes.

Sincerely,

Denny 

From the desk of Santa Claus, North Pole.
To President-elect Trump, Senators Sasse & Fischer, and Congressman Bacon.

I’m redirecting Denny’s letter to you since it is more in line with your responsibilities than mine.  However, I do pass it along with two personal notations. 

First, I can vouch for the character of the letter’s author – at least to the extent that ever since his conversion to Christianity way back in 1970, he’s maintained a place on my “Nice” list. I won’t say anything at all about the times before that.

And second, I personally (and wholeheartedly) agree with his requests.  Indeed, I especially urge you to act diligently upon his second wish.  As someone with a solid history as a friend of children, I consider Planned Parenthood one of the most monstrous menaces in modern history.  So anything and everything you do to de-fund this business would be dearly appreciated up here too.

Thank you, 

S. Claus