Monday, December 17, 2012

Conformed to the World -- Is That What I Deserve?

Advertisers once told me I deserved a break today -- meaning a McDonald's hamburger. But advertisers now tell me I deserve a generous retirement portfolio, a Lexus, Direct TV (with the NFL package), a smart phone, and a Disney World vacation.

Yesterday's Sunday school discussion centered on living a life "overflowing with gratitude" (Col. 2:7) vs the anxiety and dissatisfaction which inevitably results from a life shaped by consumerism, fashion, status, advertising, peer pressure, and a false sense of entitlement.

It's way past time for Christians to develop a truly counter-culture lifestyle, one that joyously and triumphantly rejoices in the blessings (both now and forever) of our salvation rather than having our values defined by Sunset Boulevard, Madison Avenue, or Pennsylvania Avenue.