Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An Illegitimate Government, An Apathetic Church

...Where does a government get its legitimacy? Where does a government find its raison d’etre? If a Government is deficient in the most basic area of protecting the life of its citizens, then what legitimate purpose can it serve? There is no higher purpose for a government. When it fails in this regard, it de-legitimizes itself and subjects itself to the wrath and judgment of God. This is where we stand thirty-seven years post Roe v. Wade...

What a tragedy, what a loss! When I consider the righteousness of God, I tremble for my nation. I know that He is not blind and although He is patient, His justice will not be held in check by His mercy forever. There will be a reckoning.

Although I see the evidence of His judgment already, I still hold out hope that we may stay His harshest judgment by turning away from this gruesome practice. It will take the church interceding on behalf of our nation, of fasting, confessing our sins and asking God to forgive us. “If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

The church does have a role to play and the biggest role at that and it may mean stepping into the political realm and electing public officials who will say no to death and yes to life. And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. That admonition by Paul to the Galatians is just as appropriate now and to this situation as it has ever been...


(John Malek, on Life, from his blog In Pursuit of Reason.)