Tuesday, August 10, 2010

"When Swing Was King" Again Hits the Right Notes

We are pleased to say that the latest presentation of Vital Signs Ministries' new outreach went swimmingly yesterday with rave reviews from the audience and an invitation from the nursing home's activities director to return next month.

It's becoming the pattern. Indeed, with its combination of big band hits, colorful commentary and a stream of wonderful images from the 1940s displayed on the big screen, "When Swing Was King" has been a bigger hit than anything we imagined.

It is so exciting for Claire and I to see the screen photos create excited conversation among the seniors in attendance and to hear them react to the music, tapping their toes, singing along, sometimes moving their arms as if they themselves were conducting from the bandstand. And then there's the heartwarming comments we receive afterward:

"Thank you so much for coming. I hadn't heard those songs for so many years."

"Oh, how my husband and I loved the Glenn Miller band! Bless you for bringing back some of those memories to me. When will you be back?"

"Oh, this was wonderful. The pictures were so interesting and the music...well, the music was so wonderful too."

"We used to go dancing at Peony Park ballroom and this music brought those nights back to me. Please come back and play some more."

"Jo Stafford was my all time favorite. I'm so glad you included her in the music. "

"You know, I had a Ford after the war like the green one you showed. And I remember all those other things you showed. That was so nice. And boy, that was great music."

"We have no way to hear this music anymore. They don't play it on the radio and I don't have records anymore. Thank you for bringing it to us. Please come back soon."

We plan to.

And if you are interested in coming along to join in the fun or if there's a retirement center, assisted living complex or nursing home that you think would appreciate a presentation of "When Swing Was King," please contact us. Performances are ongoing!