Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Mourning with Poland

As I mentioned in a Facebook entry from Saturday, I've changed my Facebook profile picture for awhile as a small sign of my mourning for the loss of President Lech Kaczynski and so many other political and cultural leaders of Poland in the airline crash just outside Smolensk North, a Russian military airfield.

The Profile photo I've switched to (which is the shield shown here at right) is also to demonstrate my sympathy with the Polish people in this time of grief, suffering and uncertainty.

I was in Poland on September 11, 2001, on that awful day when Muslim terrorists attacked America. I was in southern Poland as a part of a Wheels for the World team for the ministry of Joni & Friends. We were distributing wheelchairs, fitting people to them, and in other ways making friends and ministering spiritually to people.

We had been there just a few days when America was attacked. Naturally, we were devastated and longed to be with our families. But we couldn't have come home even if we wanted to -- there were no flights into the U.S. for about a week. But we didn't want to come home until we finished our work. It was important and the whole team had fallen in love with the people.

As this was my second trip into Poland, I had already fallen in love with the people several years before.

I will never forget the outpouring of sorrow the Polish people demonstrated at America's having to suffer those blows nor will I forget the huge amounts of sympathy and kindness we were shown. Everywhere we went, even on the street, people would come to us crying, embracing us, giving us flowers and, although we couldn't understand much of what they said, communicating their solidarity with us. It was compelling and beautiful beyond words.

To post this memorial badge which commemorates the two Polish tragedies now associated with KatyƄ is but a small token. Much more solid and important is my pledge to fervently pray for the nation of Poland in these next critical months. I hope many of you will remember Poland in your prayers too.