Saturday, July 25, 2026

A Major Summer Buzz? The Odyssey.

There’s an awful lot of buzz this summer over The Odyssey. But alas, the attention is not on Homer’s epic poem, one of the genuine wonders of ancient literature. Oh no, moderns never bother with originals. Their egos insist on the new, the novel, and selected revisions of important works that cover their own ignorance and flatter their own ideological and fashion preferences. That's why the buzz going round is not about Homer’s flawed yet noble hero, but rather on Christopher Nolan’s big-budget and extremely splashy (pun intended) movie.

Of course, reading Homer’s classic is itself far too difficult for most people nowadays. Good grief, don’t imagine I’m going to really read a book! Give me instead an awesome flick with blaring sound, cinematic wizardry, and 2026 progressivism. And then, after comfortably being ensconced in a theater for a mere 90 minutes, I can pride myself on not only knowing full well The Odyssey; I can even applaud my own experience of the work as being more authentic, more profound, and more impressive to my peers than all those squares before me that only read a boring book.

An exaggeration? Hardly. But the most relevant thing to note is that whatever the understanding of The Odyssey is for this summer’s moviegoers, it will be a far, far cry from the real thing, the classic poetic work of Homer.

Now you’re right in guessing that I have not seen the film. I was never tempted to. I rarely go to the movies and I almost never watch a movie version of a book. But in the case of Christopher Nolan’s movie, I had more reasons than usual to miss the thing. Among those reasons were Nolan’s oh-so-hip bow to the woke fads so worshiped by the left today: casting a skinny transgender actor as a fierce Greek warrior; casting a Kenya-born actress as Helen of Troy; and, most damning of all, portraying Odysseus as a weak, feminine, vacillating, drug-addled, dishonorable man -- all of which Homer’s Odysseus was not.

Therefore...because I believe Homer’s original poem to be a far more worthy artistic work than the movie which is getting all the attention, I wanted to pass along 2 suggestions of how to respond to this summer's fuss. 

Number One -- dare to read the original. Claire and I are doing so right now. We are, in fact, adding to our understanding, pleasure, and inspiration by also reading The Iliad, Homer’s first work. We are reading them in Robert Fagles’ translations, but any you find available can open the doors to rich adventures. And Number Two -- we are adding to our reading of these exciting texts the free online lectures offered by Hillsdale College regarding The Odyssey. As some of you know, Claire and I have enjoyed many of Hillsdale’s online courses in recent years, but these lectures from literature professor Dr. Benedict Whalen have quickly become among our most delightful. 

Indeed, I’ll go so far as suggesting to those of you who feel a moderate interest in The Odyssey but do not figure that you’d not go so far as to tackle the book, to go ahead and at least enjoy these lectures. You'll find them very interesting...and they just might lead you to the book itself.