Saturday, February 12, 2022

What is "Dreaming Forward?"

"I had finished my brief sermon for our Sunday afternoon church service at Aksarben Village Senior Living and the last music video had been played. That clip, by the way, was a rousing rendition of the southern gospel song, “I’ll Have a New Life” performed by Tennessee Ernie Ford, Johnny & June Cash, and the Statler Brothers. The reception to everything in the service had been wonderful, but that last song, with its promises of new bodies, new minds, and a whole new creation to live in, was especially embraced by our elderly congregation.

And then, as we do every Sunday, we passed out the coffee, lemonade, and cookies (Claire’s chocolate chip cookies were on the menu that afternoon) and began visiting. In one of those conversations, Doris and I were talking about that last song and the supernatural comfort it provided for those dealing with the traumatic trials so commonly involved in growing old. Doris, is a dear nonagenarian (FYI, that’s someone in their 90s) who loves Jesus and has a firm hope of heaven. However, she was candidly sharing with me about how hard it is, not only to have one’s body and memory fail, but to have one’s sense of purpose and significance fade away also.  She then asked me if I had any thoughts about how to face these problems.

My reply, as I remember it, centered on 3 things..."

Interested? Then please read the complete Vital Signs Ministries February letter right here.