Thursday, August 04, 2011

Pleading for Justice: An Open Letter to China's President

Dear President Hu, As a Christian pastor, I have dedicated myself to the Lord for the past 26 years.  With the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, I have been again and again rescued from the harm of corrupt officials.  In the past 26 years, I have been arrested, beaten and placed under house arrest for 42 times just because I speak the truth and spread the Gospel as a good citizen who believes in Jesus should do.  

I’m grateful to God and also to the government.  This state of ours badly needs justice and fairness.  However, what I cannot make sense of is that as a Christian pastor, I have always followed the words of the Lord Jesus and support governments of China at all levels and teach my Christians to abide by the law and observe disciplines.  Yet, what I have got in return for all these is my rights as a citizen of China are often deprived.  I have applied for a passport on many occasions, and each time they refused to process the passport for me and restricted my freedom of entering and exiting China as a citizen.  In my life, I have never violated the law or disrupted the discipline.  They violate my citizen’s rights to travel just because I am a pastor of a Christian church.  

Is this the harmony and justice you hope to see?

Dear President Hu, I know I am offending your dignity, but I am doing so without thinking of my personal safety.  Even if you misunderstand me or even kill me or imprison me, I still have to tell you the truth in this letter of expostulation.  As long as our country can stay stable on a long-term basis, and the corrupt officials and the thugs can be removed, the ordinary people can once again see the clear sky. And as long as Christians can freely worship God, I wouldn’t mind dying for this cause.  This is because the history of the past two thousand years has proven that Jesus Christ is a true and living God!...


The full letter of Chinese Pastor Zhang Mingxuan to China President Hu Jintao is a compelling and plaintive one which includes many specific examples of China's persecution of Christians. You can read that letter here at China Aid. And you can add your letter to Pastor Zhang's by writing in favor of religious freedom to:

Chinese Embassy Chancery
3505 International Place, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008
Email: chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn