Thursday, July 21, 2011

Every 50 Minutes, Someone Is Killed By a Drunk Driver

Alisa Joy was my precious miracle child.  The doctors worried that she might have a heart condition when she was born, but she was born big, strong and healthy.

From the day she began walking, she began dancing.  That was her passion and what she wanted to do for the rest of her life.  I loved to watch her dance, loved to kiss her and tell her that I loved her.

The last time I kissed her and told her I loved her, she was unconscious on the gurney.  She died that morning. She was 15.

When Alisa was killed by an underage drunk driver, I said enough is enough.  Then I found out every 50 minutes in this country, someone loses an Alisa to drunk driving. That’s when I joined MADD...


Read more of the letter introducing Jan Withers, MADD’s new National President.