Tuesday, August 17, 2010

About Novelty: Advice to A Would-Be Writer

Below is a letter I wrote to someone who had asked me to review a manuscript. The person was someone from another part of the country who knew me from reputation. He wanted to send me a copy of his book manuscript which I would read and then (he hoped) give a testimonial to help get it published. The writer described the Christian book as "cutting edge" and revolutionary, "quite unlike anything out there."

Here is my reply:

Dear _______,

Great. I'd like to take a look at it when you're done...or maybe even along the way. I will express one caution, however. I'm a fervent believer in the grace of God Who reveals Himself to the Church. It is in the very nature of God to enlighten us because He loves us. Thus, in our quest for knowledge, we should lean into the Scriptures and the whole host of teachers, translators, and scholars in various other fields that the Lord has given...as well as the common wisdom of the laity who seek Christ in their daily lives. We teach one another; we correct one another; we serve as a check and balance for one another; and we stimulate one another to greater understanding of the Bible.

So, be especially careful of novelty in interpretation of the Scriptures. If indeed you're book will be "quite unlike anything out there," I would be very concerned. For instance, when I teach hermeneutics, I always stress the need for building our interdependence, not independence. To arrive at the correct interpretation, I gratefully, joyfully receive the gifts God has given to the Church -- teachers, historians, linguists, grammarians, archaeologists, and careful Bible students from all walks of life. And from every era and various theological perspectives too. Because God wants the Church to be built up, He doesn't withhold vital information from His people. Nor does He channel His revelation through individuals. He's given us His Word, an objective source of truth which we all gather around, explore, discuss, and then practice.

I may be stressing a point here that is unnecessary. You might be thinking, "Golly; I only meant to suggest that my book will be more practical or more specific or better stated to a certain audience than the ones I've seen in my local Christian bookstore. I didn't mean to suggest it was a new revelation held back by God to be trumpeted in these last days by My special servant!"

If this is the case, and it probably is -- terrific. I wish you well in your study and your writing.

But do be careful. Make sure you value truth (buttressed by plenty of evidence) over creativity. Make sure you do thorough study with as open a mind as you can before pronouncing your work done. In other words, don't start with your conclusions. Let those emerge from your study of the text, not from presuppositions which you then fashion the evidence to fit.

And finally, even if you do produce something "quite unlike anything out there now," present your case with humility and with a willingness to keep differences in a proper perspective.

Again, I pray God's blessings on your learning adventures and your desires to serve Him and make His will better known among men.

Blessings in Christ,
Denny Hartford
Director, Vital Signs Ministries

What ever happened to that book, you ask? Well, maybe the letter-writer didn't appreciate my point of view or, then again, perhaps my cautions might have caused the fellow to re-think his revolutionary revelations. At any rate, the manuscript was never sent.

And I never heard from him again.