Tuesday, January 26, 2010

President Obama Speaks at Elementary School (With the Help of 2 Teleprompters)

And yesterday's winner of the "You Just Couldn't Make This Stuff Up" Award goes to Barack Obama. (Our president, of course, is a frequent contributor to this category.)

The Prez wins this particular prize for his delivery of a short speech at a Virginia elementary school -- a speech in which he had to use two teleprompters which were in plain sight of the audience and TV cameras.

What a genius. What a gifted orator. And what an example for the kids.

"Don't worry about your parents and teachers trying to dissuade you from using cheat sheets or copying internet sources for your reports. Look at me. I'm the President of the United States and I'm acting like I can give a speech confidently, intelligently, and easily any time I want when all I'm really doing is reading somebody else's stuff from off these fancy gadgets. And, like in this case, I don't even bother to hide 'em."

In his remarks, President Obama praised the school for "using innovative approaches to provide effective teaching." Hmm. Maybe those teleprompters didn't have to be lugged all the way from the White House. They just set up the ones the kids normally use for classroom presentations.

I'm afraid that President Obama is giving the bully pulpit a somewhat different connotation than the one Americans were used to.