Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Your Wednesday Tea Break (Johnny Maestro)

"Your Wednesday Tea Break" has proven to be a very popular feature over here on Vital Signs. I assume that means you relish a bit of a break from the more stressful business of the day (especially those related to the culture wars that occupy us here) and it might even mean you like the choices I lay out for you to try.

That's great. I'm glad you find them fun.

Judging from the feedback I've received, the most popular so far have been: the Kenny Vance stuff; the three songs from the Seekers; Tim Hawkins' "The Government Can;" the Fred & Ginger numbers; and that rousing, surprising Belgium train station dance. I provide links to the listings in case you want to make a quick revisit. But hey, don't fritter away your whole afternoon!

For this week I post just a couple - since I know you'll be heading over to a few of those mentioned above too!. They both feature one of the greatest voices of classical rock, Johhny Maestro.

The first is from his days in the late 1960s with The Brooklyn Bridge. It's a great song that brings back memories for me of dreamy slow dances at Bear Creek High sock hops, "Blessed Is the Rain." And the second is a TV rendition (lip-synched, I'm sure) of Johnny when he was lead singer with The Crests much earlier in the decade. The song is "The Angels Listened In," one of my Top 20 rock songs of all time. Sure, it's way out of focus but you'll still get a big charge out of the dance steps of the backup singers. You may even find yourself trying to make those same cool kick moves! And the song itself is incomparable.