Thursday, September 04, 2008

Joe Biden: "I'm Going to Shove My Rosary Beads Down Their Throat."

Checking in with Dawn Eden (The Dawn Patrol) this morning, I followed a link she posted to an extremely interesting report about the strange kind of Catholicism Joe Biden practices. It comes from Paul over at Thoughts of a Regular Guy and was originally posted almost 3 years ago.

Paul was commenting on the news about Senator Biden (then considering another run for the White House) and Biden's response to repeated criticism of his faithlessness as a Catholic. After all, Biden had established one of the most pro-abortion records in the Senate.

Quoting the news report --

Biden said that [if] he chooses to make a second presidential bid, he will aggressively defend his own values as well as those of the Democratic Party.

"If I'm the nominee, Republicans will be sorry," said Biden, a Roman Catholic who ran for president in 1988. "The next Republican that tells me I'm not religious I'm going to shove my rosary beads down their throat."


To which Paul responded...

"I, for one would be delighted to hear Senator Biden discuss his Catholic faith, his deep reverence for the Pope, the inherent beauty of Catholic moral teaching, his own conversion and how Catholic teaching informs all his political positions, and of course, his favorite places to find weapons-grade rosaries.

Threatening to shove one's rosary beads down others' throats is not the sort of thing one says when one has the benefit of the many graces that are promised to those who daily pray the rosary. So it makes me wonder. On the off chance that Senator Biden is not keeping up with his daily praying of the rosary, I would encourage him to have an aide get it onto his daily schedule, and never miss it. It will only strengthen him for the many trials that face him each day.

Still, I'll admit that most days I'm carrying three rosaries on my person, and that doesn't in itself make me religious. I'm pretty sure that attacking someone with a rosary wouldn't make me religious either. Still, I'm not too worried, because I honestly don't believe that the Senator carries a rosary with him every day. Not that that in itself makes him irreligious. But it does undercut his threat."