Thursday, April 03, 2008

Listening to Rush Limbaugh: Some Thoughts on Clinton and McCain

Claire and I rented a truck yesterday to move some furniture over to the Goodwill, take the lawnmower in for a tune-up and blade resharpening, and haul in some mulch in preparation for spring garden activities. We were pleased to turn on the radio and find that the previous driver had been listening to KFAB. And, at the time of day that we were driving, that meant Rush Limbaugh.

Now, as my friends know, when I'm in the car, it's oldies radio or CDs. But because Claire was with me (she's the ultimate in talk show junkies), I left Rush on and we enjoyed his program as we attended to our errands. Two things in particular interested us.

1) His comments about new revelations of Hillary Clinton's outrageous actions when she was working on the Watergate investigation staff. Rush referred to Dan Calabrese's new article detailing Jerry Zeifman's charges against Hillary. Zeifman, the general counsel and chief of staff of the House Judiciary Committee, was Hillary's boss -- a boss that had to fire her for her inexcusably unethical behavior! Lifelong Democrat Zeifman is now very vocal in explaining that Hillary’s history of lying and dirty tricks go way, way back.

Here's the Calabrese article. Really fascinating reading. Infuriating too, especially when you wonder where the press has been on this.

2) The second thing we liked from Rush yesterday was his answer to a caller who said that Rush has been "too mean" to John McCain and argued that playing on McCain's weaknesses will hurt Republican chances in November. Like I said, I haven't listened to Rush Limbaugh for awhile (the competition against him in my car is Dion, the Supremes, Roy Orbison, et al) and so I can't very well evaluate his criticism of John McCain over the last few months.

However, there are several things McCain can be criticized for...and should be: -- the unconstitutional disaster of so-called campaign finance reform; the acceptance of embryonic stem cell research; the indifference to Terri Schiavo and others in her situation; and more. Indeed, I myself have criticized him here on Vital Signs Blog on these very issues and I will continue to do so. Sure, we must be reasonably pragmatic when it comes to the business of politics, but as a Christian I cannot forget that I ultimately answer to a much higher responsibility.

Rush Limbaugh reminded me of my own convictions in this area when he politely answered the caller about his. "Madam, I am an American first. A conservative second. And a Republican only third."

Good answer, Rush. Maybe, I'll have to start giving you (and Laura Schlesiger, Michael Reagan, Sean Hannity and company) a little more of my radio time after all. If it's okay with Elvis, that is.