Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mustang Morality: Knight Rider's Debut Features Unnecessary Sleaze

Last week I warned you about CBS' outrageous decision to air Dexter, a series whose "hero" is a "lovable" serial killer -- a series replete with violence, gore and new lows for macabre humor. I do hope you took some action on that front. Our friend Kris did and received a letter from an official at one of the local affiliates (similar to the one he had sent us) that explained how bothered he himself was by CBS' action.

"As a parent," he wrote, "I sympathize with your concerns. When the show premiered last night, my wife and I made sure none of the TVs in our house were on it. One thing I have learned throughout my broadcast career is that viewer feedback can have a powerful influence on the decisions made by the networks. So I commend you for making your opinions known."

Well, next up for "making your opinions known" is Knight Rider, a remake action series from NBC. I didn't see it (Claire and I were watching an old VHS tape of an Astaire/Rogers musical) but Tom Sharman started it. However, he quickly found the over-the-top lasciviousness of the program enough to turn off the TV. More important, he also directed his concerns in the proper direction; namely, to NBC and its local affiliate.

Below is the text of his letter. It's an excellent model for the letters the rest of us should now write. Right?

NBC Network
Ben Silverman

Entertainment Chief

30 Rockefeller PL.

New York, NY 10036


Dear Ben Silverman,


Your NBC network continues to not serve us well. Last evening (Sunday) you provided your affiliates with the pilot program of Knight Rider. I realize you are probably quite excited about this program and when this series aired a number of years ago it was a pretty decent and intriguing program. I and my wife watched it quite regularly. However, the producers of this new program apparently thought they had to spice it up a bit. By the time the first commercial break had come, we had already seen a man in bed with two women simultaneously, a lesbian scenario, and up close beach-related shots - all placed in the show with one focus in mind (and adding nothing of value to the story). We didn't even make it through the first commercial break watching the show, even though we would have liked to.


If NBC wants to maintain viewership, then they need to remove their programming from the abyss of twisted sexual agendas and values. This is not right nor what we want.


Thank you for your attention to this matter.


Sincerely,