Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stem Cell Success Stories


I frequently post entries here on Vital Signs Blog about the many and various scientific studies which demonstrate the remarkable progress being made with adult stem cell research. And especially exciting is when the stories go beyond the lab to show you how real people are getting real help right now.

Well, among the many fine articles that are available over on the Do No Harm web site, a site that should definitely be on your bookmark list, is a very inspiring article in PDF format, Adult Stem Cell Success Stories: 2006 by Sarah Kleinfeld, William L. Saunders, and David Prentice. I think you'll find it terrific reading -- enlightening, hopeful and showing a very different view on the public controversy of stem cell research than what you read in the MSM (mainstream media).

Here's just one example:

...Another effective treatment using stem cells is limbal (eye) stem cell transplants. Limbal stem cell deficiency results when limbal stem cells are lost from the cornea due to disease or chemical accidents. A 2005 study performed in Great Britain showed that of ten eyes treated with limbal stem cells, seven showed extremely successful results.

The study also showed that after a period of nine months there was no longer any DNA present from the donor stem cells. This has exciting implications because it means that immunosuppressant drugs would be required for only a short time. According to Dr. Sheraz Daya, one of the main researchers, “The technique not only works, but there was no donor tissue there. That is what really blew our minds. The cells appeared to have been shed from the eye and replaced by the patient’s own, much more hardy, cells.”

Edward Bailey, 65, who participated in the study, said, “I couldn’t believe it. For ten years all I had seen was shades of black and grey. Then after I had the operation, the nurse came by and I saw a flash of blue from her uniform. I went home, and when I took the patch off my eye, I had my vision back. It is only when you lose something like sight that you realize how precious it is."...

I can't wait to read the 2007 stories too!