Monday, October 02, 2006

Toughness and Spiritual Tenacity: Troy Polamalu Accepts the Challenge

Pittsburgh Steelers strong safety Troy Polamalu is not an NFL superstar who happens to be a man of faith. Rather, in his heart, he is simply "a Christian with a passion for Jesus."

Football, Polamalu said, "gives me confirmation of how I can carry out my faith. It's my way to glorify God."


And while he views his team's 2006 Super Bowl win as "really beautiful and a blessing," Polamalu notes that "success in football doesn't matter. Success in anything doesn't matter. As Mother Teresa said, God calls us not to be successful but to be faithful. My prayer is that I would glorify God no matter what, and not have success be the definition of it..."


Read the entirety of this Catholic News Service article here.