Republican/Libertarian Congressman Jeff Flake is driving his colleagues crazy. You see, he dares to act on the principles they only espouse. In particular, Rep. Flake is shining the light on the Congress' out-of-control spending and how even the Republicans are cheating taxpayers by funding pork projects -- and doing their best to keep their irresponsibility behind closed doors.
One of Jeff Flake's recent actions (proposing several cost-cutting amendments to the DOD's Appropriations Act) drew a more rancorous reaction than usual, However, it also drew special praise from the Citizens Against Government Waste. Check that story out right here.
And while you're on the subject, take a look at the Wall Street Journal editorial from last month about Congressman Flake. It is a very interesting read.
And one more thing -- so-called libertarians generally refuse to deal with such "social issues" as abortion in the political arena. Indeed, many come down decideldy for unrestricted abortion. But Congressman Jeff Flake refuses to fit into this mold either. Below is a quick review of his House record on the issue:
* Voted NO on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)
* Voted YES on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005)
* Voted YES on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004)
* Voted YES on banning partial-birth abortion except to save mother’s life. (Oct 2003)
* Voted YES on forbidding human cloning for reproduction & medical research. (Feb 2003)
* Voted YES on funding for health providers who don't provide abortion info. (Sep 2002)
* Voted YES on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)
* Voted YES on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
* Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
If you'd like to send along a "thank-you" to Congressman Jeff Flake both for his pro-life voting record and his brave willingness to buck the system in order to save taxpayer's some money, then here are a couple of addresses:
Washington, D.C. Office
424 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
(202) 226-4386 fax
1640 South Stapley
Mesa, Arizona 85204
(480) 833-6314 fax
Congressman Flake's constituents can email him at email@example.com.