Tuesday, October 25, 2005

On Leading Seekers to Faith in Jesus Christ

There is nothing in life quite comparable to the thrill, the gratitude and the overwhelming humility one experiences when he or she is blessed to lead someone to Jesus Christ.

Last night I spoke to a group of about 25 high school students in a packed basement in Blair, Nebraska. It was a meeting of Student Venture, the high school outreach of Campus Crusade for Christ, and this particular chapter is directed by Gary Warrick, an old and trusted friend. I have spoken to his gatherings over the years and have always been honored and pleased at seeing God work in the lives of these young people and their adult sponsors.

But last night truly was special with five students being bold enough to publicly acknowledge their desire to receive Christ as their personal Savior.

While the other students were on their knees praying, these five came upstairs with me. I explained again what it is to become a Christian -- simply to trust in the sacrifice Jesus had made on the cross when He died for our sins. Rather than relying on one's own good works, or basic "goodness," or religious affiliation, or anything else, one must take advantage of the sacrifice Jesus provided.

Said Jesus, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."

Forgiveness of sin, the guarantee of heaven, the adoption as an honored son or daughter of God, the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and so much more -- these are all immediate and supernatural benefits of simply (but honestly) seeing Jesus on the cross and saying, "Yes. I understand You died in my place. You paid my debt. I believe in You and trust You. And I humbly receive the gift of salvation You purchased with Your blood."

After quickly reviewing these splendid truths which I had emphasized in my sermon downstairs earlier, I then led these precious five kids in prayer and from everything we can now see, these five young people became Christians last night. They started on that incredible spiritual adventure that leads to the full triumph of Christ over meaninglessness, sin, and even death itself. It doesn't get any better than this.

I entreat readers of Vital Signs Blog to say a quick prayer for these kids even as you say one for many more chances of this kind to come our way as Claire, myself and the whole team of Vital Signs Ministries "LifeSharers" keep holding high the banner of Christ.

And, yes; please say just one more for Gary Warrick and his remarkable ministry which reaches out to the students of Blair and several other communities. Gary is in the process of trying to increase his meager support and he could really use any spiritual (and financial) assistance we can provide. He is a genuine champion whose service to Christ has been marked by integrity, compassion and hard work all the 35 years I've known him.

If you're interested in finding out more about his ministry or inviting him to address your church or Sunday School class, please contact him here -- gwarrick@studentventure.com

Thanks.