Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Mirena: Miracle Contraceptive or Another Potential Abortifacient?

The following is the general text of an e-mail I sent to an enquiry to Vital Signs Ministries which dealt with the drug/device Mirena.

Dear M___________,

In checking out Mirena, I find that it is similar to other "birth-control" actions such as the pill and the IUD; that is, while it claims to prevent pregnancy by serving as a contraceptive, it isn't always able to do so. And then, if and when "breakthrough ovulation" occurs, there is an action which makes the uterine lining hostile to implantation. That makes Mirena (like the others) a potential abortifacient. Note the paragraph below which I took from a medical web site touting the device.

How does it work?

It works by thickening the mucus inside your cervix, so making it very difficult for sperms to get through. Also, the hormone thins down the lining of your womb – thus making it unlikely to ‘accept’ an egg. And in some women, the hormone has the effect of preventing the ovaries from releasing eggs. (This helps to make the IUS more effective than the IUD.)

Obviously, the moral problem there is the phrase "making it unlikely to 'accept' an egg." My advice is to steer clear of anything that could cause an abortion. Check out the excellent counsel and techniques provided by your local Couple to Couple League or contact Dr. Tom Hilger's renowned work at the Pope Paul VI Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction.

And finally, check out this exchange about Mirena I found on the web site Health 24.com. It deals with the complications caused by the device/drug to the health of the user. Yikes.

Message: I am 31 years old and have been on the Merena Loop for the past year. For the past 6 months, I have really been struggling to control my weight even though I eat sensibly and excercise for at least an hour every day. I feel very bloated and can vary in weight as much as 3 kg's in one day. I have also had frustrating breakouts of pimples on my back, chest and neck area which I can not control with any form of cleansing routine. I also have no sex drive and do not lubricate during sex. I also have some (minimal) hair on my breasts. Please could you steer me in the right direction as to where I can get some help. I feel absolutely desperate, specially about the weight gain as it seems to be spiralling completely out of my control.
Many thanks
Date: 29/1/2005

Posted by: Gynaedoc
Message: These could all be symptoms of the Mirena. You could treat these symptomatically - see a dietician, see a dermatologist about the acne, or you could have the Mirena removed.
Best wishes
Date: 31/1/2005

You can see the site yourself at http://www.health24.com/experts/GynaeDoc/979-981-1003-1024.asp?ForumID=3&PostID=349768

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Denny Hartford
Director, Vital Signs Ministries