Thursday, September 20, 2012
We Could Sure Use Some Hopalong Nowadays
Here's one particularly illuminating measuring stick.
It's a list of common-sense moral precepts that was promoted by an entertainment figure far more popular in his time than any TV bad boy, music diva, or hip-hopper from our present era could hope to be. Indeed, this guy was not just an entertainer to the baby boom generation, he was a hero and role model.
Read through the proverbs below and consider how extremely different is his advice to young people than that which would come from today's media icons.
"Ten Guidelines for Life" from Hopalong Cassidy:
1) The highest badge of honor a person can wear is honesty. Be truthful at all times.
2) Your parents are the best friends you have. Listen to them and obey their instructions.
3) If you want to be respected, you must respect others. Show good manners in every way.
4) Only through hard work and study can you succeed. Don't be lazy.
5) Your good deeds always come to light. So don't boast or be a show-off.
6) If you waste time or money today, you will regret it tomorrow. Practice thrift in all ways.
7) Many animals are good and loyal companions. Be friendly and kind to them.
8) A strong, healthy body is a precious gift. Be neat and clean.
9) Our country's laws are made for your protection. Observe them carefully.
10) Children in many foreign lands are less fortunate than you. Be glad and proud you are an American.