Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Keeping Busy

I sure wish that being busy insured being effective. But alas, I often wonder about it.

Anyhow, having just finished Bob Greene's deeply moving book, Once Upon a Town: The Miracle of the North Platte Canteen, I have to dive headlong into Jeff Shaara's 480-page The Final Storm: A Novel of the War in the Pacific in order to get it done before the Notting Hill Napoleons (our literary club of nearly 20 years) meet on Saturday night.

And given the to-do list I have in front of me the rest of the week, I can see it's going to be tight. I hope to write up reviews for The Book Den of both of North Platte Canteen and Final Storm but before that I have a lot to get done this week:

* a bunch of correspondence (including letters to pastors offering Vital Signs' help in developing letter-writing outreaches for their congregations AND a few Valentine letters for the Joni & Friends project, Heart for the Disabled);

* presenting two more "When Swing Was King" programs -- Northcrest nursing home in Council Bluffs (Jan. 26th, 2 PM) and Brookstone Retirement Center (Jan. 27th at 4 PM);

* reconstructing and re-recording several of the first several WSWK programs;

* doing the regular blogging;

* preparing Sunday's sermon (we're moving into Galatians, Chapter 5);

* getting ready for our informational booth at Saturday morning's Walk for Life down in Lincoln (We will see you there, won't we?);

* and then getting that Shaara book done.

I think I'd best get going!