Monday, September 24, 2007

Oscar-Winning Actress Regrets Her Abortion

An interviewer from CFRB radio in Toronto asked acclaimed actress Ellen Burstyn what was the lowest moment of her life. Burstyn, now 74-years old and on a book promotion tour, paused before giving this answer...

"You know, I guess, I hate to talk about this on the air, but having an abortion. You know that was really an extremely painful experience."

"Did you feel you didn't have a choice?," asked the interviewer.

"At the time I was just young and dumb, I didn't really want to have a baby then," she replied. "It was the wrong thing to do and I really didn't understand that till later," said the actress. "That was very, very painful -- that was probably the worst."

I commend Ellen Burstyn for the courage and candor of her answer. It is a confession that shows compassion both for the child she aborted and for other women who are considering making the same wrong choice that she did. Also, I pray that she discovers the full measure of God's forgiveness (as I have for my many and varied sins) by trusting in the redemptive sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

(Hat tip: Jill Stanek)