Friday, June 07, 2013

NFL Star Protests Planned Parenthood, Declines White House Visit

Had a National Football League star skipped a chance for a White House
visit and made public his opposition to Barack Obama on a hot topic like Benghazi, same-sex unions, or the bizarre Big Brother nature of the administration, it would have been front page news.

But because Matt Birk, the center for the world champion Baltimore Ravens, decided to skip the event because of President Obama's zealous support of the mega-abortion corporation, Planned Parenthood, most news organizations ignored the story.

How come? The media (even the sportswriting fraternity) frequently loves to criticize Christians and other conservatives when they speak out on public issues...or even when they quietly live out their lives in a decent, God-fearing way. Just ask Tim Tebow.

But the way Birk presented his protest makes it very tricky for a liberal to squawk because any objecting reporter would have to present his reason for not going to the White House. And Birk's protest was wisely succinct and precisely targeted.

"Planned Parenthood performs about 330,000 abortions a year," Birk stated."I am Catholic, I am active in the pro-life movement and I just felt like I couldn't deal with that. I couldn't endorse that in any way...I have great respect for the office of the presidency but about five or six weeks ago, our president made a comment in a speech and he said, ‘God bless Planned Parenthood. I’m very confused by that statement. For God to bless a place where they’re ending 330,000 lives a year? I just chose not to attend.”

I applaud Birk's decision and admire the very effective way in which he defended the sanctity of human life.  Thanks, Matt.