Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Melanie Phillips: The Left's Hatred Is Because She Was Once "One of Them"

For the Left, I am the target of deepest hatred.

For my trenchant views, expressed in this newspaper, they call me ‘insane’, ‘reactionary’, ‘racist’, a ‘Nazi’, a ‘shroudwaver’, a ‘witch’ and a ‘warmonger’.

I have been accused of ‘unmatched depths of ignorance and bigotry’ and being the ‘queen of mean’.

It was even suggested (in a particularly extreme spasm of hyperbole) that I eat broken bottles and kill rats with my teeth.

This resort to crude insult against anyone who dares to challenge their shibboleths is typical of the Left.

It doesn’t argue its case. It simply tries to shut down debate by bullying its targets and labelling them as extremists and enemies of humanity in order to frighten people away from listening to them.

But they reserve a special loathing for me. This is not just because I refuse to be cowed.

It’s because I was once one of them, one of the elect, a believer…


From the excerpt of exceptional journalist Melanie Phillips's e-book, Guardian Angel: My Story, My Britain. Here's more as printed in the Daily Mail.

And below is a Vimeo clip in which Phillips talks about the book. I've ordered my copy already. How about you?