Thursday, January 17, 2013
News You're Probably Not Hearing About
Well, you don't know it yet.
* Senator Ted Cruz on President Obama's "gun control" actions of yesterday: It’s sad to see the President of the United States trying to exploit the tragic murder of children as an excuse to push his own extreme anti-gun agenda.
None of these proposals would have stopped the massacre at Newtown, but they would restrict the constitutional rights of every American. We should use every available means to deter and to punish mass murderers, but the federal government should not be trying to ban gun ownership for law-abiding Americans.
The Second Amendment is a fundamental part of the Bill of Rights--the 'palladium of the liberties of a republic,' as Justice Joseph Story put it--and I intend to help lead the fight in the U.S. Senate to preserve our individual right to keep and bear arms.
* Uh, global warming is over. Here's a Daily Mail story (the American media just doesn't report this stuff) that gives the real data. And that data shows as clearly as can be that "global warming has stalled."
* An Iranian-born U.S. citizen, sitting in a Tehran jail, will face what his lawyers are calling a "sham trial" next week on charges of apostasy.
The American Center for Law and Justice says Saeed Abedini, a Christian pastor, is charged with "actions against the national security of Iran" for his work leading an underground house church movement in Iran.
Abedini, who became a U.S. citizen in 2010, will face trial Monday in front of one of Iran's so-called "hanging judges," branded so because of the tough sentences he hands down, including execution by hanging.
The charges, lawyers for the family said, stem from the year 2000 when Saeed, now 32, converted from Islam to Christianity...(Here's more from KLTV.)
* Michael Medved column -- Hollywood stars call for gun control but make millions off violent films…The timing of the contradictory messages exposed the hideous heights of Hollywood hypocrisy in especially embarrassing terms.
* Did you know that yesterday was Religious Freedom Day in America? It didn’t get a lot of attention, since President Obama was busy signing executive orders, but he also put out a proclamation on religious freedom.
“Because of the protections guaranteed by our Constitution, each of us has the right to practice our faith openly and as we choose,” the President wrote. “As we observe Religious Freedom Day, let us remember the legacy of faith and independence we have inherited, and let us honor it by forever upholding our right to exercise our beliefs free from prejudice or persecution.”
That’s one heck of a proclamation from an Administration whose actions have attacked religious liberty for Americans…(Read more of Amy Payne's column here at The Foundry.)
* Ilyse Hogue is the new president of NARAL and though she doesn't have much experience in championing abortion, she is a dedicated veteran of revolutionary change having been involved in leadership positions with many radical leftist groups -- Greenpeace; Rainforest Action Network; Director of Political Advocacy and Communications for MoveOn.org; Senior Adviser to Media Matters for America (where she focused on advocacy programs to undercut the power of right-wing media); co-founder of Friends of Democracy PAC; Center for Corporate Policy; etc. She also writes for The Nation and Huffington Post listed her as one of 50 women “who made the 2012 election.”
* The Obama administration's record in cases litigated so far involving the contraceptive mandate is at 10 losses and only four wins, according to Alliance Defending Freedom, which released a "scorecard" of the more than 40 cases so far over the Health and Human Services requiring employers, including religious organizations, to provide insurance that cover contraception, sterilization and some abortifacient drugs. (Read more here.)
* Allen West on President Obama's "gun control" actions of yesterday: There's not a single directive the President announced today that would have prevented the tragedy at Sandy Hook. This is all about extending government control over the lives of law-abiding American citizens.
The administration is focused on "gun control," but what about "spending control?" Naturally, there's no acknowledgement of the damaging debt out-of-control spending puts upon the next generation.
The tentacles of tyranny are slowing extending and strengthening their hold on this nation - and too many Americans are oblivious. At this rate, we will not recognize the nation our next generation will inherit.