Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Don Stenberg is the Conservative to Go Against Ben Nelson

I find it most interesting that the editor-in-chief of RedState.com, Erick Erickson, has endorsed Don Stenberg in the GOP Nebraska primary race. RedState is probably the most widely-read conservative political blog around and so Erickson's preference of Stenberg over Jon Bruning as the man to try and defeat Democrat Ben Nelson is news indeed.

And Erickson isn't shy about explaining just why he prefers Stenberg.

After the historic gains made by conservatives -- not just Republicans -- in 2010, the conservative movement stands to slide back and lose in 2012.

I’m not talking about the race to the White House. I’m talking about the United States Senate. At a time when Senate Republicans refuse to lead and Mitch McConnell is doing his best to marginalize the solid conservatives, the right is distracted by the White House. The same GOP that tried to stick the right with Trey Greyson, Charlie Crist, Mike Castle, and more is going to try again. If conservatives are not vigilant, they’re going to be stuck with the likes of Heather Wilson, etc.


Erickson then reviews the political situation in several states. Of Nebraska, he says this:

Conservatives going with Jon Bruning are making a terrible mistake. I realize the Bible is a story of repentance and forgiveness, but you don’t put the new converts in the Senate where they have six years to go Chuck Hagel on us. Don Stenberg is my guy for this race.

“I would love to persuade you that trickle down economics was a farce or that Ronald Reagan was incapable of understanding complex policy arguments.”

“I believe in gun control.”

“I think a woman should have a right to choose.”

Those are just some of Jon Bruning’s greatest hits.

Yes, he has grown up. Yes, he has changed. Yes, he is center-right now. But I want to put a guy in the Senate who has a long term conservative track record. Conservatives have been burned once before by Nebraska with Chuck Hagel.

I’m going with Don Stenberg.


I also have concerns about Bruning's candidacy. In fact, I expressed them here back in February. And because of those concerns about the depth of Bruning's commitment to conservative values as compared to Don Stenberg's considerable record of conservative achievement, I'm going with Don Stenberg too.