Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I've Got A Bad Case of the Post Office Blues

I'm not too happy with the U.S. Post Office nowadays.

Maybe it's the declining service. Maybe it's the ever-soaring postal rates. Maybe it's the frustration of knowing my tax dollars and the high cost of stamps I pay are going for endless TV commercials as the U.S. Postal Service tries to compete with Federal Express.

And maybe it's the order that I and my neighbors recently received -- an order telling us that if we want to continue to get our mail, we must clear the snow from the street (yes, the street, not the sidewalk) to provide a 60 foot clearance for the mail truck! 60 feet!

And if that wasn't enough, here's a story from Waterbury, Connecticut that suggests some mail carriers decided to lighten their loads by hiding the mail in "closets and unused rooms" at the post office.

Claire, take a letter.