Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What? You Don't Believe in Homosexual Marriage? You're Fired!

You want yet another example of how the Constitutional freedoms of speech and freedom of religion are being overthrown by a decadent, intolerant culture? How about this young Christian who was fired from his job simply for stating his opinion to a lesbian who had repeatedly boasted to him about her recent "marriage" to another homosexual?

Peter Vadala, 24, told FoxNews.com he was terminated in August from his position as second deputy manager at a Brookstone store at Boston's Logan Airport after a conversation he had with a manager from another Brookstone store who was visiting the location.

Vadala claims the woman, whom he declined to identify, mentioned four times that she had married her partner. He said he then left the store briefly to visit the airport's chapel before returning.
"I found it offensive that she repeatedly brought it up," Vadala said. "By the fourth time she mentioned it, I felt God wanted me to express how I felt about the matter, so I did. But my tone was downright apologetic. I said, 'Regarding your homosexuality, I think that's bad stuff.'"

The woman, according to Vadala, then said, "Human resources, buddy — keep your opinions to yourself," before exiting the store.


Two days later, Vadala, who had been employed for just a matter of weeks, received a termination letter citing the company's zero-tolerance policy regarding "harassment" and "inappropriate and unprofessional" comments....


"I see, like all real Christians, homosexuals as people who, like me, are sinners and need to be told the truth in a loving way," Vadala said. "In this situation, I took issue with the behavior. I think it's lunacy to call that type of behavior marriage in any kind of form. I had to express that I'm intolerant of that behavior. It's a love-the-sinner, hate-the-sin kind of deal."


Vadala said he felt "intentionally goaded" by the manager to comment on her
relationship. "She knew how I felt about homosexuality," he said. "When you talk to someone about something like that, you want their support. She was kind of looking into my eyes for that social cue for me to say, 'I'm happy for you.' But I really couldn't feel happy for her."

Brookstone President/CEO Ron Boire vigorously defends the company's firing of the young man. Brookstone, he says, "is an equal opportunity employer, meaning that we maintain a healthy, safe and productive work environment free from discrimination or harassment based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, or other factors that are unrelated to the Company’s legitimate business interests. We are proud of our diverse workforce of varying cultural, ethnic, and religious backgrounds."

Meaning, of course, the company tolerates everyone except devout Christians.

Because of this outlandish discrimination bias, I won't be buying anything from Brookstone in the future. And I sent the company a brief note to let them know why:

"Dear Mr. Boire,

Because of your termination of a young Christian man simply for stating his religious belief about homosexual marriage (and this only after repeated statements from another employee boasting of her homosexual marriage), I will no longer be spending any money at Brookstone stores. Your decision was a poor one, reflecting an intolerance for Christian beliefs despite your vaunted claims to be an equal opportunity employer. Bias cuts many ways, Mr. Boire. And your company has obviously opted to favor only certain, politically-correct views while severely discriminating against others. Bad form. And very unfair. So, I'd rather spend my money elsewhere."