Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Your Wednesday Tea Break (Help!)

The Beatles' hit movie of 1965 introduced some of their best stuff. And because they're pretty short, I'll post four clips for your tea break this afternoon.

1) The theme song, Help!, was #1 on the charts for three straight weeks and eventually made #29 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 greatest songs of all time. 2) You're Going to Lose That Girl with its intriguing key change -- E major in the chorus and verses but wrenching to G major during the bridge. 3) One of the best of those rare Beatle songs that featured George Harrison on lead vocal, I'm Happy Just to Dance with You. And 4) I close with a ballad (You've Got to Hide Your Love Away) which accompanies the kooky kind of footage that made the film so fun for a 9th grader at Golden Junior High School. (Hey; who am I fooling? I've got a copy of the film and just may watch it tonight!)