Friday, June 12, 2009

David Letterman & CBS Need to Hear From You

Even in the earthy locker rooms of my misspent youth, such jokes as those attempted by David Letterman the other night would have elicited not laughter but a sound thrashing.

The egotistic, ultra-liberal, and consistently sophomoric Letterman designed his comments, of course, to hurt Sarah Palin. As even the LA Times put it, "David Letterman has never been shy about airing his contempt for former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin."

But jokes about rape, not to mention the rape of a minor girl, are ominously hurtful to all women everywhere.

So, what's it all mean? Letterman is a lout. Okay, no surprise there. But his arrogant non-apology PLUS the fact that CBS is letting this guy skate away from his indefensibly chauvinist, even dangerous slurs -- well, we can't let that go without a principled, pervasive protest.

Your letters should go 1) to the Late Show (where that scurrilous Top Ten list is still posted) and 2) even more important, to the program's advertisers and 3) to CBS.

Finally, to make sure you understand what's involved here, read Michelle Malkin's column. And then write!

I print below my letters. The first is to CBS Chairman Sumner Redstone (with a copy to Letterman's production company, Worldwide Pants 1697 Broadway, Ste. 805 New York, NY 10019, Phone: 212-975-5300)

Dear CBS Chairman Redstone:

David Letterman's comments about the sexual abuse of a young girl were much more than inappropriate, much more than crude -- such sexist canards are demeaning and dangerous to women everywhere. He has yet to apologize (we all know that his excuses the other night were blatantly arrogant) nor have we heard responsible reactions from you.


This is the new CBS?


It is really beyond the pale for the CBS network to let stand Mr. Letterman's brutish comments.


I don't watch much TV but I will make sure that I not watch CBS programs until the network appropriately responds to Mr. Letterman's (and the network's) shameful performance. With one exception, that is. I'm going to watch the program tonight in order to record the companies that advertise there. Letters of protest will then be sent to them as well.


I will pass along my suggestions to my friends, the visitors to my blog, and to my church.


Please respond quickly to this mess.


Sincerely...


Contact info for CBS
Sumner Redstone, Chairman
CBS Television
51 W. 52nd St.
New York, NY 10019
Phone: 212-258-6000 (Be polite!)
or: 212-975-4321
E-Mail -- audsvcs@cbs.com

(I'll pass along those advertisers next Monday.)