Friday, January 30, 2009

The Black Paw Strikes Again

Earlier this week I talked to a couple of groups of the AWANA kids over at Faith Bible Church. Most of my talk was the Black Paw story of my youth, a true-life account of one of the most exciting days of my life, a day in which a 4th (or maybe I was by then a 5th-grade) kid who loved reading history and mystery books became involved in his very own mystery. No kidding.

That adventurous day included a wild discovery, a series of clues left by a 19th-Century stagecoach robber which my friends and I had to decipher, the digging up of the Black Paw treasure...and a most surprising climax of the story.

Anyhow, in today's e-mail came this delightful note:

Denny,

Just want to thank you so much for your Awana talk.

It was one of the best!!

Jane and I have decided to really focus on the two key words you used, Adventure and Treasure with our kids. We are planning on having a family meeting this weekend to talk about Adventure - What are some adventure type things you would like to do this year. We are going to really encourage them to think creatively. We will also encourage them to find real Treasure through their own personal reading of the Word of God and having a prayer time.

Your talk is launching our family into something fresh and exciting for hopefully many years ahead.

THANKS A HUGE TON DENNY!!!! REALLY!!

Wow. That makes me want to tell it all over again. And I'll certainly do that whenever anybody drops by for tea. Or, for that matter, when they invite me over to their church, Sunday School, AWANA group...whatever.

"Once upon a time, a long time ago in south Denver, there was this kid..."