Thursday, May 08, 2008

Re-orienting to Life's Priorities

Carmon begins an endearing blog post over on Buried Treasure by quoting Guillaume Apollinaire, the French-speaking poet of the early 20th Century (who was actually born Wilhelm Albert Vladimir Apollinaris Kostrowitzky), "Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

She then goes on to describe how difficult Apollinaire's advice can be when you're a woman with a husband and kids and aging parents and a business and a home and, yes even a blog to take care of! So, bless her heart, she's thinking about taking a break -- from the blog, of course, for the other duties can't be scrimped on -- and I'm quite sure I'm just one of many who was touched by her comments:

She concludes her post:

For the first time in a long time, I haven’t felt compelled to blog much, perhaps because there isn’t much left over after my brain has been so inundated with such compelling events... I’m trying to fit in some reading to fill up the well, which feels a bit empty right now, and I may take a break just until I return from helping my mom.


One thing I’ve learned after almost seven years of blogging is that it doesn’t make a big difference in the bigger scheme of things if I stop talking on the internet for awhile. That doesn’t mean I don’t have things to say, and I hope the Lord continues to use the things I say for His glory and furthering His kingdom. But He does that when I show hospitality to friends, when I comfort my little boy whose arm is aching, and when I let my mom know how much I love her and take care of her needs during a scary time. Doing those latter things is choosing the better part right now. Sometimes it seems there’s so much chatter about the world falling apart that nobody is doing what it takes to make the world a better place, thus creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. It’s better to be a busy body than be a busybody.


Do I hear an “Amen!” out there?


You do indeed, Carmon...more than you know. So, thanks for the timely and wise exhortation, one applicable not merely to bloggers but just about all the rest of us too.