See the schedule right here.)
The song list is, as always, an impressive one:
1) Glenn Miller Orchestra (Ray Eberle, vocals) -- "The Nearness of You"
2) Bob Crosby & the Bobcats -- "Skater's Waltz in Swing Time"
3) Count Basie Orchestra (Helen Humes, vocals) -- "And the Angels Sing"
4) Benny Goodman Orchestra -- "Let's Dance"
5) Chick Webb Orchestra (Charlie Linton, Louis Jordan, Ella Fitzgerald, vocals) -- "There's Frost on the Moon"
6) Charley Barnet Orchestra -- "Night Clow"
7) Tommy Dorsey Orchestra -- "Chinatown, My Chinatown"
8) Artie Shaw Orchestra (Helen Forrest, vocals) "All the Things You Are"
9) Les Brown Orchestra (Doris Day, vocals) "Sentimental Journey"
10) Desi Arnaz -- "The Lady in Red"
11) Harry James Orchestra -- "Deep Purple"
12) Gordon MacRae -- "Oklahoma"
Also impressive are the 250 or so photographs that are part of this "When Swing Was King" volume. Really nice. And then there's the accompanying commentary too. I mean, where else do you get terrific music from the big band era plus interesting trivia about the songs and musicians...and even about Carol Heiss, the Victor Taking Machine Company, National Biscuit Company's part in popularizing Benny Goodman, and TD's Clambake Seven?
Want to get in on the fun? And, by doing so, give your spirits a lift by visiting seniors and other residents of care facilities who would love to have you come by? Then just check that schedule link above and give us a call or e-mail. Claire and I would love to have you join us too.